With all that we have to do each day, it is easy to get stressed, side tracked and forget what is truly important in life.
Here are some simple things you can do through out your day to help keep you centered, grounded, grateful and living from your heart center.
1. Mala beads- Traditionally used for Japa meditation. Similar to a rosary, where each bead represents a number of times you recite a positive mantra, affirmation, or prayer, to come into a more calm spiritual state. It may not be realistic to do the entire practice during the day but once you have put all your positive energy into your mala beads, it is with you all day long. Mala beads can be worn as beautiful pieces of jewelry every day and the meaning behind it for you is a positive, constant reminder throughout your day.
2. Grace- Every time you eat, say grace. Grace to your creator, grace to the Earth. Whomever you are grateful to, to be able to nourish your body with wholesome foods. Furthermore, if you are cooking be sure to say positive affirmations while you are prepping the food, so that you can digest the positive energy you put into it.
3. Shake it off- Many of us have such stressful, demanding lives that our fight or flight response is being activated too frequently causing us to be off centered. The accumulation of stress hormones in the body can trigger all kinds of serious health problems, so it is important to be aware and know how to release it on a daily basis. I always look to nature’s cure first and animals are the best at this. When their adrenaline (fight or flight) is released they literally shake off the remainder of stress hormones so that their body doesn’t absorb it. I’m sure you have all seen your dog or cat do this type of shake after they have gotten scared or defensive. Humans innately release this by yawning, sweating or heavy breathing, which is a slower process. The best way to release this on a daily basis is to mimic animals response. Stand up and vigorously shake your body to release anything that you need to let go of to keep you healthy and centered each day.
* When choosing your own Mala Bead, listen to your instinct, don’t over think it. Let your spirit guide you, as such in life.
For those of you who do not know, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. These are some pictures of me at my worst. Unable to walk for almost a year, dealing with severe side effects from both the disease and medicine. I am 5.10 and was under 95lbs. Losing chunks of hair at a time from Methotrexate (chemo) and other thyroid issues. Dealing with extreme pain from inflammation all over my body, including my organs, eyes and mouth.
Through trial and error of Western and Eastern medicine, I have been in remission for a couple of years now. My success has been through specific diet, spiritual work, exercise and lifestyle.
Through hard work I have been grateful to be the face of dozens of activewear/yoga lines and am very passionate about creating a healthy body image. Discrimination comes in all forms and I have recently seen some negative comments regarding me being too skinny. I am now a healthy 125lbs and have earned every muscle I have gotten back since my recovery. Diet and movement play a huge role in my goal to stay in remission so the consequence of that may be a leaner body. I want to encourage people to have compassion towards one another no matter size, shape or anything else. Everybody has a story. My passion is to inspire and encourage you to embrace your body type and support each other in the process.
Here are some easy tips to embrace your body by taking good care of it.
- Choose foods that nourish your body and make you feel good, not only during but after.
- Move your body everyday. Some days you might feel like you can climb a mountain. Other days a brisk walk and a nice stretch will do just fine. The key is to listen to what your body needs each day but at the very least, walk and stretch.
- Steer clear from toxic environments & relationships. Protect yourself through spiritual work and set boundaries to who you let into your energy field. There is nothing wrong with sending love from a distance:)
* Be kind and compassionate to yourself and others. Everyone is fighting their own battle, including you.
I think everybody’s wish is to be loved. To feel complete, unconditional love that does not waiver from outside influences. A love that fills your heart and swells your soul. A complete contentment.
There are two ways to feel this magical love, self-love and faith. There is nothing else that can encompass this type of magical, eternal love. This does not mean that you can not open yourself to love others, quite the contrary. We were born to love one another but having the constant love for yourself and believing in something outside yourself first will help sustain all the other love that comes and goes.
How to have a heart full of love:
1. If you don’t love yourself, how do you expect anyone else to? Let go of the criticism and start seeing yourself as a beautiful creation that is here for a grand purpose. Treat yourself with the love and compassion you would a child or if you were a child again, what advice would you give yourself about your self-worth and love.
2. No pity parties, acknowledge your feelings and let them pass, refrain from sulking in them. Be happy for others, especially lovers, we are all in this journey together and you will have your turn.
3. Faith, believe in something bigger than yourself and commit. Believing in something outside yourself is what religion has mastered and has helped many through turbulent times. Find what works for you. Being able to tune into a feeling of unconditional, abundant love from your God, no matter what else is going on in your life is a tool that has endless possibilities.
4. Trust the process and practice self-love all along the way. There is no self-love when you compare yourself to others. Stop judging yourself and others. Surrender to what is and learn to enjoy the process, especially the rocky parts.
5. Disperse your love. Often when people are in committed relationships they lose some of the constant love for others, not in a cruel way but their lover seems to fill their heart so abundantly that its common to focus all ones love on that individual. If this partner were to ever leave, it could feel as if the love disappeared. Love is matter and whether it be focused on one person or many, it is the same love. It did not disappear. It was always there just focused on one person instead of many. Take that love and disperse it back onto yourself, friends and family and let it envelop you.
* Keep your love tank full with the love you have for yourself first.
There are tons of things that can trigger a migraine. Anything from certain foods, additives, alcohol, dehydration, medications, hormones, sleep deprivation or just thinking too much. The goal is to monitor your own symptoms to see if there is any correlation to too much sugar, certain foods or a new medication for example. Making some small changes in your routine can minimize and eventually ban migraines all together.
It is not normal to have migraines. Migraines are a symptom and way of your body telling you that it does not like something you are doing. Here are some natural tips that could help relieve migraine pain.
1. Toxins in the body are number one cause for migraine headaches. Food additives and preservatives. Eat more fresh less packaged and avoid added chemicals as much as possible. This means things like red food coloring to diet sodas and splenda. These things are poison to your body and a headache or migraine is a symptom of that poison.
2. Avoid sleeping under a window or sharp object, like a beam or chandelier. Feng shui believes that the sharp angles above your head can create migraines. It is also important to have a solid head-board or wall behind your head to support your crown chakra. This too will help with any insomnia that is also correlated with head aches and migraines.
3. Orgasms. One of the oldest ways to relieve a head ache or migraine is through an orgasm. It is simply natures relief. So many woman use the head ache routine to get out of having sex but it may be just what the doctor ordered.
4. Ginger- Ginger tea is a calming and soothing way to digest ginger. Ginger has medicinal properties that can help relieve tension and inflammation. It helps to create more circulation throughout the entire body.
5. Overthinking- spiritually, headaches represent self criticism and invalidating one self. Migraines represent resisting the flow of life, sexual fears and dislike of being driven. Getting into your own head and critiquing your own self-worth or not trusting the flow of your life can cause tension and constrict blood and oxygen to your brain causing the symptoms of a headache to migraine. Instead try to retrain your thought process with positive/opposite thoughts when a negative thought comes up. Or find a way to transmute that negative trigger through exercise, writing, or painting. Ease your mind and trust in spirit.
6. Tei-fu oil- Is an herbal oil that was developed in China to invigorate the mind. It also stimulates the respiratory system and could positively enhance your mood. To help ease tension headaches or migraines, place one drop in the palm of your hand and rub your hands together to stimulate the oil. Bring your hands close to your mouth and take several deep breaths, inhaling the essential oils. Avoid contact with the eyes and mouth,wash hands after several breaths.
*Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.- Joan Lunden